Following FSU Media Day, ‘Noles fans flooded Doak Campbell Stadium Sunday afternoon in an open practice that many believed wouldn’t occur due to inclement weather earlier in the day. The team dazzled fans, as many got their first peeks at the Seminoles’ new gear. An end zone reception by Ermon Lane caught over the shoulder of Ronald Darby courtesy of Jameis Winston registered the loudest cheer of the day. On the other hand, Jalen Ramsey’s ejection from practice after toppling over not just Karlos Williams, but Winston as well, snagged the most headlines. Ramsey was still showing his temper over what appeared to have been a physical altercation that occurred earlier in practice between himself and Williams. Aside from that, practice went on as usual for the ‘Noles. Listed in the FSU Open Practice Recap below are some key aspects from Sunday’s open practice.
- John Franklin III continued to take snaps behind center and run routes at wideout. Franklin showed soft hands and blistering speed, pulling in receptions in various formations against man-to-man coverage.
- ‘Noles tight end Kevin Haplea, who has been inactive following a concussion, dressed out in a non-contact jersey.
- Back deep fielding punts were Bobo Wilson, Rashad Greene, and Kermit Whitfield.
- Jimbo seemed to be the most verbal with the wide receiving corps, making statements like “How about running a little!” and “Is it possible for you to come in a little bit?!” While there was much to like about the WRs as a whole on Sunday, their route running is still a work in progress. Jimbo made this apparent with his various outbursts.
- Overshadowed by Jalen Ramsey’s ejection from practice was the fact that Chris Casher and Jeremy Kerr had to be separated after the whistle following a drill in which they seemed to be locked up in an altercation. After the two were separated, Casher was sent to the sideline to cool off.
- Quarterback Jameis Winston continued to progress with carrying the ball higher, both in the pocket and when he rolled out.
- QB Troy Cook struggled significantly with throwing horizontally, to the sidelines, as he failed to get the timing down with receivers. He often threw out of bounds or got the ball out too early.
- Guard Wilson Bell was able to get reps with the second team as Kareem Are moved to left guard at times during practice.
Many images from Fan Day have already been posted via our twitter account. Check back with ChopChat often for more fall camp information.
Tags: Florida State Seminoles